2015 Website Banner


Home
Current News
Public Notice
Budget
Minutes
Officials
Department of Transportation
Community Establishments
Churches
Job Opportunities
Zoning
UCC & Bldg Code
Stormwater
Subdivision
Recycling
Tax Collection
Sewer Authority
Rails to Trails
Emergency Management
Oil & Gas Resources
Energy
Contact Us
Directions
Web Site Legal Disclaimer

CHURCHES

Country Church

Throughout the years, there have been several churches within Wayne Township.  Three of them are still active as churches today.

The Carter Hill Church was located at Five Corners and dedicated in 1884, and became part of the Methodist Conference in 1903.  After being active for several years, it became inactive and was sold to the Carter Hill Ladies Aid in 1959.  The church was later sold to a private individual in 1969.

The Sciota Methodist Church was built in 1890 and was in use until the 1920's.  Sometime in the 1930's, it was sold to be used as a private residence.

BEAVERDAM MENNONITE CHURCH
17721 Route 89
Phone:  665-5465
Sunday Services:
Sunday School:  9:30 AM
Worship Service:  10:45 AM
Wednesday Evening:  7:00 PM

The Beaverdam Mennonite Church was originally formed in 1832 as a Methodist Episcopal church.  A building on the current site was sold to the Mennonites in 1940, but burned in 1954.  The Mennonites built the current building using the pews from the burned church, and is still very active today.  The Church is located on Route 89, just north of Route 6.

WHEELOCK COMMUNITY CHURCH
Route 426 North
Sunday Services:
Sunday School:  9:45 AM
Worship Service:  11:00 AM

Wheelock Community Church is located on Route 426, approximately 5 miles North of Corry in the center of the Wheelock community.  It was formed in 1878 and was the center of many different Wayne Township activities.


WAYNE VALLEY METHODIST CHURCH

Route 89 North
Sunday Services:
Sunday School:  9:45 AM
Worship Service:  11:00 AM

The Wayne Valley Church was built in 1870 on leased land on which the deed stipulated that the lease was valid as long as the church remained active, with no more than two years of inactivity.  Funeral services were to be free for anyone.

CEMETERY
There is only one active cemetery today in the township.  That is the Lawn Cemetery of Beaverdam on Route 89, just north of the village.  Many other plots are in the area but were either family plots on various farms, or as in the case of the Wheelock Cemetery on Rte. 426, have not been used in recent years.

To obtain records for Genealogy purposes;  please contact Louise Kent, Secretary for the Lawn Cemetery of Beaverdam at (814) 664-9391.









Home | Current News | Public Notice | Budget | Minutes | Officials | Department of Transportation | Community Establishments |
Churches | Job Opportunities | Zoning | UCC & Bldg Code | Stormwater | Subdivision | Recycling | Tax Collection |
Sewer Authority | Rails to Trails | Emergency Management | Oil & Gas Resources | Energy | Contact Us | Directions | Web Site Legal Disclaimer

© 2017 WorldConnX Inc, All Rights Reserved